Silicone Heater Hose Should I, if so where from?

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I have been thinking about replacing the heater hoses with silicone because I'm tried of the rubber ones not holding up well to the heat and oil. They seem to swell and degrade much faster then I like and I'm looking for something that can handle the heat and oil if it gets on them.

The 90 degree bends seem to be very pricey.

I'm just wondering if this is the best thing to do and if so where have you guys got it from?

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i would say they are completely worthless and a waste of money other than they look cool. its not going to make the car cool better and a factory lower hose (main one that takes abuse) has a extra layer of shielding that is more than enough for a long life.

i say they're better places to upgrade unless your at the pinnacle point of your build.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
rumptis;1153573 said:
I have been thinking about replacing the heater hoses with silicone because I'm tried of the rubber ones not holding up well to the heat and oil. They seem to swell and degrade much faster then I like and I'm looking for something that can handle the heat and oil if it gets on them.

The 90 degree bents seem to be very pricey.

I'm just wondering if this is the best thing to do and if so where have you guys got it from?

yah i'm using silicone for my power steering relocation. as long as its silicone i've been told it'll be fine, but why would oil get on your heater hose?!?

i'm assuming you mean "90 degree bends" right what do you mean

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I don't care about looks with this I want something that's going to hold up to heat and as any supra owner knows we tend to have plenty of oil leaks and oil is not nice to rubber...not that I plan on having any but it happens.

Getting straight hose is cheap and easy but bends are expensive and harder to get so I'm looking for people that have bought them and wondering where they got them.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
rad house just run ob off ebay i have set and there not bad at all

as for miss heater hose just make sure it's reinfoced

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Must admit, I'd love to replace the stock rubber coolant 90 degree hoses ... there's two of them that seem to suffer from heat degradation, one under the thermostat housing, and the other on the back of the head. I've had one of those fail already and cook the engine. :(

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
GrimJack;1153972 said:
Must admit, I'd love to replace the stock rubber coolant 90 degree hoses ... there's two of them that seem to suffer from heat degradation, one under the thermostat housing, and the other on the back of the head. I've had one of those fail already and cook the engine. :(

I myself am waiting for a response on shipping from Group A Supra. Ordering a red Samco full engine water hose kit. I have the same concern you guys do. Thought to myself... Im going to be driving the car down the street a month after my 2 year build, and a auxillary hose is going to rupture from the heat and age (i figure they are factory hoses from 1989) and im going to ::bhg::. Figured this would address it. Sad thing is Samco takes forever. :3d_frown:

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
^ I would like to know that as well, I know they have a radiator hose kit but didn't know of any other hoses or kits they offered.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Wasn't someone offering a full silicone heater hose kit on this site? I seem to remember something like that.

IJ.;1153941 said:
If you do go Silicone make sure you get the correct clamps for it.

They need to have a solid smooth surface where they contact the hose.

Are you saying you should use t-bolt camps instead of the worm screw clamps?

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
yeah, the samco kit is supposed to be the full axillary hose set. everything minus upper and lower radiator hoses. Group A Supra had a thread where he was selling the axillary hoses and the upper and lower radiator hoses.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53543

GrimJack;1154414 said:
Yes, absolutely. Worm clamps chew up silicone fast.

Thats nice to know. I was planning on re-using all the original hose clamps from the motor but I guess i'll be buying new ones now. Grim, do you know where to find mini tbolt clamps or have any other recommendations for the hoses?

GrimJack;1154259 said:
I have new rubber hoses in those locations already, but due to close proximity to the exhaust manifold / turbo, those two hoses degrade fast. Does the Samco kit replace everything?

Why dont you (if you haven't already) wrap the turbo manifold and turbo to lessen the heat in the bay? If you have, tell me it helps and that I didn't buy/install it on my 7M for nothing.

Last edited:

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
GrimJack;1154414 said:
Yes, absolutely. Worm clamps chew up silicone fast.

I can't find t-bolts that would be small enough for 5/8 heater hose.

Is there some other sort of clamp that can be used?

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Poodles;1154499 said:
The stock spring type... Samco also sells clamps for their hoses.

you speak of the oem ones that go on the radiator hoses? you know, got those two ends together and it opens the clamp so you can move the hose? I hope so, have those on my radiator hoses.

And yeah, i had forgotten that samco states you can get their hose clamps for the kits too.