Name this switch.

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
Im not 100% sure what these are really for. And explanation would be great!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What does the switch do that is in between the fog lamp switch and the rear window defroster?

And....

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What is that next to the hazards?

Thanks guys.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
They are both aftermarket.
The one by the hazard looks to be an aftermarket alarm led. That's where I put mine.
Don't know what the other one is. You'll have to trace the wires. If you're lucky it could be a TEMS firm over ride, that's where I put mine but used another fog lamp switch to look stock :)

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Ahhh... I'm surprised so many have forgotten about the super secret option that was available only on the 89. This switch was added in top secret labs in Japan on a limited number of 89 Supras that were then exported only to eastern Europe. When engaged, this switch would engage a cog that turns a sprocket to increase the whosits while simultaneously decreasing the whatsits to correct a problem wherein there is too much spoo in the fleem channel. The engineering marvel alone is worthy of a TV special, but due to international protection laws they can't show this to the general population - the rumor is that this technology was stolen from aliens that crash landed near Tokyo. By the way... you're missing the cover that is supposed to prevent those not in the know from knowing about this option.

With this option there was a warning indicator to let the driver know about the problem with the fleem channel being too full of spoo.

This switch must ONLY be engaged at WOT or your little birdy will fly away and the empty birdcage light on the dash will illuminate.

At this point your tail light failure module will fail resulting in no brake lights at all with no tail light failure indicator on the dash lighting up - I still want to thank the engineer that came up with that brilliant failure mode.

Happy Friday!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
KeithH;1320397 said:
Ahhh... I'm surprised so many have forgotten about the super secret option that was available only on the 89. This switch was added in top secret labs in Japan on a limited number of 89 Supras that were then exported only to eastern Europe. When engaged, this switch would increase the whosits while simultaneously decreasing the whatsits to correct a problem wherein there is too much spoo in the fleem channel.

With this option there was a warning indicator to let the driver know about the problem with the fleem channel being too full of spoo.

This switch must ONLY be engaged at WOT or your little birdy will fly away and the empty birdcage light on the dash will illuminate.

aka "Bob" ;)

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
KeithH;1320397 said:
Ahhh... I'm surprised so many have forgotten about the super secret option that was available only on the 89. This switch was added in top secret labs in Japan on a limited number of 89 Supras that were then exported only to eastern Europe. When engaged, this switch would engage a cog that turns a sprocket to increase the whosits while simultaneously decreasing the whatsits to correct a problem wherein there is too much spoo in the fleem channel. The engineering marvel alone is worthy of a TV special, but due to international protection laws they can't show this to the general population - the rumor is that this technology was stolen from aliens that crash landed near Tokyo. By the way... you're missing the cover that is supposed to prevent those not in the know from knowing about this option.

At this point your tail light failure module will fail resulting in no brake lights at all with no tail light failure indicator on the dash lighting up - I still want to thank the engineer that came up with that brilliant failure mode.

Happy Friday!

Mine must have been put in by Bill as it is different.::shrug::

:: tumbleweed ::

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
Well i will have to trace the wires, because when i flip the switch nothing to my knowledge happens. Ill try and figure it out.

thanks for the imput!

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
I will be working on the supra all day monday, so Im gonna pull off that panel and see what those really are...hope to god its no vteck switch. LOL

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
Alright guys...

So i pulled the panel off, there are three wires that come from the switch, and they all lead up to under the headlights.

Now the fun part. It seems to me as if the previous owner tried to do the fog light mod. But why the extra switch? Note: the fog lights work only when the lights are on. And the damn switch does nothing still.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As you can see the three wires together at the top. (Yellow/Black/Green)
- The yellow goes to the fog lamps.
- The black splices with the white and goes to the turn signal.
- #1 Green is cut and just hanging (in my hand/part of the 3 wires)
- #2 Green is cut from the wire loom.
- #3 Green is cut which comes from the turn signal as well.

A little help would be nice about what the hell is going on.
When it comes to wiring and electrical i have no clue what is going on.

-Bret

trdsupra89

B.H.G.
Apr 28, 2009
Michigan
RazoE;1330516 said:
where exactly do they end, though..?

might have been for after-market fogs he chose to remove, or it might even be a kill switch..

They start at the aftermarket switch in the first picture at the start of the thread.
And end up going to the turn signal/fogs ect.

As you can see the three wires together at the top. (Yellow/Black/Green)
- The yellow goes to the fog lamps.
- The black splices with the white and goes to the turn signal.
- #1 Green is cut and just hanging (in my hand/part of the 3 wires)
- #2 Green is cut from the wire loom.
- #3 Green is cut which comes from the turn signal as well.