i need some computer help

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i hate my laptop and i really need to get online with it. first i can't get online with the wifi, now i can't get on it with the hard line..

i think my router is shit cause i use to be able to get online all the time. i just tried for 1.5 hrs to get on with the cable and it's not working..

i've tried everthing and no luck.. what am i do woring..

run a tobisha m-35 sattillte with windows XP. i did the wizard, went into network connections, tried everthing.. no luck..

i need a walkthrough... i'm trying to send my maftpro files to bob.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
First off, if its an emergency (or if you wanna know where the problem is) just connect the modem directly to the laptop.

Then, if that works, your problem most likely is your router (how are the other comptuers on the network?). Hard reset your router so all the settings are cleared, see if that works, and don't forget to update your computers to the new (temporary) generic SSID, or first change the SSID back to the old one.

What brand of router are you running, and how long have you had it? If you're looking for a new one, Linksys offers pretty good plug and play, where you can just push a button and have everything on the router configured automatically. Its also good for ridiculous things like runnning Linux. It was like 70USD

But, I personally hate the config software, and hate having to junk up my computer with tons of software. We run an AirLink at the office, its great cuz you just plug it in, and all the config is in the browser. Thats my fav of the two, and we haven't had any probs with it. It was only about 30USD

If those ideas don't help any, LMK before you buy a new router lol.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
Try reinstalling the drivers, depending on when the last time you updated them. You could do a rollback and then update them. I know some wireless cards sometimes have problems with drivers for no reason and you have to install them again.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i'm still trying and i have no luck... been looking in the device manager and i can't find my either card

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
malloynx said:
i'm still trying and i have no luck... been looking in the device manager and i can't find my either card
You'll want to start right there - if you've got no network adapters in the device manager (just right click your "my computer" icon and click properties, hardware, device manager) you're not going to be able to get anything connected.

Have you got other computers in the house that work with the cable modem? If so, you can rule out your modem/router as the problem.

JCP

The Big Unit
Apr 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
make sure your card is set to automaticaly obtain your ip address.

I sometimes get random problems and by typing "ipconfig" without the quotations in RUN or the CMD Prompt it will obtain your ip.. but if your computer doesnt even see that you have a card.. then you sir have more indepth problems..

JCP

The Big Unit
Apr 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
If I understood your last post correctly then your comp isnt seeing your card.. Make sure your looking in the right location.. it will be under

My Computer > Control Panel > Network Connections... Then you should see something named Local Area Connection.. or something similar to that.. If you see that double click on it > Click Properties > Then Under the "General" Tab you should see a box which has a few different things in it.. the one you want to check on here is named Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Click on that once > Then just underneathe that box you should see 3 bars that you can select.. the one you want to select is named Properties.. Click on that one > Then under the "General" tab in TCP/IP you should see a few bubbles that you can select... The one you want to select is Obtain an IP address automatically. Once you've done this everything should be hunky dory.. That is if you could get to that point... If you've done it and it still doesnt seem to work.. go to Start > Run > and type in "ipconfig" without the quotation marks... Then it should be fine...

If none of that helped then your comp may not be seeing your card.. and you need to download and install the lastest drivers from the cards manufacturers website..

LMK