daily driver pole! please be un-biased!!

cool, reliable, econonmical DD!!

• Total voters

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Im saving my pennies (3-4000) for a decent 2 seater DD/roadster....no front wheel drives though. So im just asking for anyones input based on real knowledge or experience...which is the strongest candidate(im looking for cool factor/modability, reliability, then fuel mileage, but all in pretty equal parts) Let me know what you think with pos and negatives!! Before someone rags on me for not wanting a 4 cyl auto sedan: I get bored with cars VERY fast and if the car is boring/ghey to begin with it has no hope so im really just saving myself some time/money!

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Isphius;890816 said:
Im saving my pennies (3-4000) for a decent 2 seater DD/roadster....no front wheel drives though. So im just asking for anyones input based on real knowledge or experience...which is the strongest candidate(im looking for cool factor/modability, reliability, then fuel mileage, but all in pretty equal parts) Let me know what you think with pos and negatives!! Before someone rags on me for not wanting a 4 cyl auto sedan: I get bored with cars VERY fast and if the car is boring/ghey to begin with it has no hope so im really just saving myself some time/money!

are you talking about a MKI or MKII MR2?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
e30 bmw, though I'd advise against ANY 20+ year old rag top...

Parts are near DIRT cheap and if it has been well maintained it could run forever(though you could say that about almost anything).

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
I say any of those besides the Fiero.... those are such pieces of shit, IMO. My vote is for a 1992 or older Saab 900. Its not exactly a 2 seater, but should be due to the lack of a back seat, plus they are not too hard to find in the convertble model, either turbo or NA. I worked on these for a few years, and they are really fun little cars that get good gas mileage and can be pretty quick.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I voted for Miata given the choices.

But I'd rather have an MK1 MR2.

If you get a Fiero, I will definately make fun of you. (not that it matters but I will :biglaugh:)

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
The miata is #1 in my book just cause its like a mini sports car. Long hood, short trunk, FR, Plus i just think there awesome cars. I dont want a fwd esp a saab! My friend had a saab and i didnt really like it. It was fast though. And for the mr2, a Mk2 if i can find one for that price. Id settle with a Mk1 though if it was nice enough. I happen to like the fiero the only real POS thing about them is the front wheel bearings and steering rack. Ive considered the e30 but i dont really want another euro car. Ive Got a 924S which is now my girlfriends, but i still have to work on it! Im driving an 84 z28 now, to make it short I went for "quick" trip to the mall and my friends house and burned at least 1/4 tank. So this is why i need to get a DD for once!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
MkII MR2 or Miata, from given choices. I love E30s, my friend has an 85 325E and it's super easy to work on and has cheap parts. He said he used to get just over 30MPG driving like hell with 220k on the clock. Runs fine, too.

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
When you watch a Fiero, still having the 2.8, with some fuel work and a big turbo bolted on, yank the front tires up over a foot coming off the line and run a 5.8-6.0 through the 1/8th and it was driven to the track....then you respect them....well....at least that one in particular.

I rode in another one with a ct26 fitted on the 2.8L, it was decently quick. Looked over as dude shifted into 4th and the speedo was maxed...only had 90 on it though, lol.

I would probably say Miata as far as if you want to go to SCCA or Auto-X, but I hate the popup headlights on those, they take up most of your view out of the windsheild, least that how I felt when I drove one at night. NA MR2's are ok as they handle pretty good. The 5S-FE can actually be easily turboed as well, the stock 3S turbo manifold bolts on, but then say hello to snap-steer.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Having owned 2 Fieros (and looking for a 3rd now ;)) I have to say that a later model ('87-'88) is a very fun ride. Take care of it properly, and pull the 2.8 out - you can stroke the 2.8 to a 3.1, or stuff a 3.4 under the 2.8 intake, and enjoy.

I turbo'd (16g) my first 2.8 Fiero. The one car I really regret getting rid of (needed money at the time :()

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
The later model Fieros are the better looking ones. They would make good projects but can't see dd one. It's so odd to even hear someone consider one. I can't even remember the last time I've seen one. Better yet, get you a Pinto like the one in the link below. ;)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
civic, strip the car out. cheap insurance good gas mileage

fieros are garbage. the only car you can count on that would catch on fire. my gf's dad collected them

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
The GT is the cool looking fiero. I like the forumla/SE front end and the GT rest of the car. And the 2.8 aint bad just no high rpm power but a good solid motor that will never break. My friend had a yellow v6 auto fiero and it was def fun to drive. Wasnt super fast but wasnt slow either. The motor id swap if any is the 3.4 DOHC. 220hp fiero ftw :) The only problem i have with the miata is the price vs miles. that and there kinda girly but i dont care. But even the 200+k mile ones sell for a lot. That says something about the cars, but im sure the owners also enjoy their share of the ricer inflation....same with del sols and AE86 corollas.