Bryan's 1uz twin turbo build

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
viper92086;1325830 said:
lol yea its a tight fit in there. i have no idea.. its a craigslist special... guy bought it for his 280z with a 350 block on it and it was too big, so he was selling it cheap. fits perfect for me... itll take some grinding but not too much

Ah I see. No worries. Good info for sure. Hope you don't mind me steal your idea bout the radiator. I'm gonna be using a R154 in my 1988 but apart from that it's gonna be a similar setup. I'm super interested to see how your's tunrs out!

Also curious how you are planning to run your coolant lines to the turbos?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
i wish i have time and money to do this on my 90 ls 400. Are you going to at least regasket/timing belt and other stuff while the engine is out? Great project though!

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
OneJArpus;1326063 said:
Looks like its coming along well (althought i'm not feeling the ALT location) but hey gotta do what ya gotta do!

i'm not a fan of how it mounts neither but i cant put it any other way, and other lextreme members have done it this way. i actually just picked up a taurus fan and 130 amp alternator from the jy today for $22. gotta love those junk yards.

sthmstr;1326206 said:
Ah I see. No worries. Good info for sure. Hope you don't mind me steal your idea bout the radiator. I'm gonna be using a R154 in my 1988 but apart from that it's gonna be a similar setup. I'm super interested to see how your's tunrs out!

Also curious how you are planning to run your coolant lines to the turbos?

i dont plan on running coolant lines, i ran without coolant lines on my na-t and never had a problem. i make sure to let everything cool before i shut the car off.

akito;1326349 said:
i wish i have time and money to do this on my 90 ls 400. Are you going to at least regasket/timing belt and other stuff while the engine is out? Great project though!

its not really the money, its more of the time lol. everything takes custom work of some kind. i plan on just doing the water pump and timing belt. and the couple of gaskets that i will need to replace when i take things off to get powder coated.

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
as an update for today, i plan on cutting out my lower rad support. this will give me some additional room for the radiator and provide a better way of mounting it. This should also gain me the clearance i will need for the taurus fan that i scored today with a taurus 130amp alt for $22!

amekaji87

Apr 23, 2009
Chesapeake, Va
This will be interesting to see. Alot of fab. work being done, but it looks good so far. Will consider showing this thread to my friend and see if he wants to tackle this in his sc 400

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
^ yup they are easy, just reverse them and done.

as for an update i received the wiring harness today, and also got it installed! very excited. My plans are to start it on Sat. i cant wait

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
Supra runs! after Mike's help with the wiring and some small grounding issues (forgot to ground the ignitor). the motor runs!. i'm so excited to get this project closer to getting done. i have most of the codes gone, i just have to figure out the maft. i also found out i had a bad spark plug wire so as you can see in the videos below it sounds kinds funny. (fixed it in the second video but i gotta order new wires.) i sent mike a updated copy of the wiring so hopefully he'll host it up. time for some pictures and videos for your viewing pleasure

DSC04768.JPG

DSC04770.JPG

mmmm tight spaces.. i have to fit a 3" exhuast down this side somehow along with the turbo headers
DSC04771.JPG

shot of the driver side.
DSC04784.JPG

had to take a shot of the battery that i will soon be using :)

vids (cover your ears)

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/viper92086/1uz/?action=view&current=MOV04779.flv

first start up

after fixing the broken plug wire

Last edited:

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
viper92086;1332136 said:
Supra runs! after Mike's help with the wiring and some small grounding issues (forgot to ground the ignitor). the motor runs!. i'm so excited to get this project closer to getting done. i have most of the codes gone, i just have to figure out the maft. i also found out i had a bad spark plug wire so as you can see in the videos below it sounds kinds funny. (fixed it in the second video but i gotta order new wires.) i sent mike a updated copy of the wiring so hopefully he'll host it up. time for some pictures and videos for your viewing pleasure

supra&

mmmm tight spaces.. i have to fit a 3" exhuast down this side somehow along with the turbo headers

Looking good Bryan! Glad I could help out this weekend with the wiring and thanks for making the updates to the wiring guide. I warned you to keep an eye out for grounding issues. Nice to hear you did not encounter as many as I did. I'll get it hosted up sometime this week over at http://1uzsupra.com if anyone else is interested. Currently the first draft is up from when I did mine but as Bryan pointed out there were a couple of mistakes where I had failed to updated it after wrapping up the project. His updates will go a long way in wiring a pre-89' chassis for the 1UZ w/manual swap.

As for the 3" exhaust, how about tucking it under the subframe? Plenty of room under there even with the car lowered for circular pipe and if you want to save even more room, try some oval or rectangular pipe. I would suggest trimming down the metal PS line and either terminate it with JIC fittings or AN fittings. I currently have JIC fittings but I am seriously contemplating moving to AN fittings with the help of Dr. Tweak from Phoenix Tuning (I still need to shoot some pics over to him) and probably plumbing in a PS cooler while I am at it.

BTW, love the trick with the old Supra mounts! The engine could still come down another 1" or so too unless you need the room (I think you mentioned needed the room on the driver's side?). I can just fit the tip of my index finger between the front of the oil pan and the rack on mine which places the rear part of the oil pan's bottom nearly flush with the bottom of the subframe or just a little lower than it. Looking forward to seeing your engine with turbos on it and how you end up plumbing the oil lines to them!

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
milisakeracing;1332882 said:
Looking good Bryan! Glad I could help out this weekend with the wiring and thanks for making the updates to the wiring guide. I warned you to keep an eye out for grounding issues. Nice to hear you did not encounter as many as I did. I'll get it hosted up sometime this week over at http://1uzsupra.com if anyone else is interested. Currently the first draft is up from when I did mine but as Bryan pointed out there were a couple of mistakes where I had failed to updated it after wrapping up the project. His updates will go a long way in wiring a pre-89' chassis for the 1UZ w/manual swap.

As for the 3" exhaust, how about tucking it under the subframe? Plenty of room under there even with the car lowered for circular pipe and if you want to save even more room, try some oval or rectangular pipe. I would suggest trimming down the metal PS line and either terminate it with JIC fittings or AN fittings. I currently have JIC fittings but I am seriously contemplating moving to AN fittings with the help of Dr. Tweak from Phoenix Tuning (I still need to shoot some pics over to him) and probably plumbing in a PS cooler while I am at it.

BTW, love the trick with the old Supra mounts! The engine could still come down another 1" or so too unless you need the room (I think you mentioned needed the room on the driver's side?). I can just fit the tip of my index finger between the front of the oil pan and the rack on mine which places the rear part of the oil pan's bottom nearly flush with the bottom of the subframe or just a little lower than it. Looking forward to seeing your engine with turbos on it and how you end up plumbing the oil lines to them!

hmm, my car sits very low, so i dont think i can squeeze anything under that, but i'll take a look again later. as for the mounts i think im gonna elminate the hockey pucks altogether. i was just a bit worried about the motor vibrating all over the place but your right, its a very smooth motor. i'm going to take a look at everything tonight if i get a chance. thanks again, i would have never gotten this thing wired right if you didnt call me back lol.

IJ.;1332887 said:
I see you're using the rad mounts from one of our vendors ;)

Good job Bryan!

thanks ij!

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
how are you going to do the IC? I would like to see 2 MKIV sidemounts used, would save a bit of space up front.