bigger!

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
wassup ladies and gents. ive got somewhat of a good deal..at least i think so. i found someone who is willing to sell me his 60-1 turbo. brand spanking new never used or installed.

at this point my current set up is
-blitz intake
-ngk wires ( installed just today)
-custom 3 inch pipes (no cat)
-apex'i 3 inch muffler
-drilled and slotted rotors
-HKS SSQV BOV

now my question are...
1. If i get the turbo what other mods am i going to need?
i know that im going to need a DP (looking into a BIC). ill also be getting a new manifold. dont know what kind as of yet. recommendations please! a new waste gate. oil feed lines of course. boost controller and turbo timer.

2. will i be needing a SAFC of anything like that.

for now that all i can really think of. any advice would be well appreciated.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Get ready for some lag with the stock setup. I would say to start with the Exhaust like mentioned above, then Intake and SAFC and all that fun stuff. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there might be a better way to approach it.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
New manifold as in intake mani or exhaust mani? Upgraded CT's are nice (I personally wouldn't go bigger than a 57 trim for performance/longetivity) and you can still use a BIC DP on one. If you are wanting a different exhaust mani, then I'm guessing that you are going with a T4 turbo. In that case, you will not be able to use a BIC or it's counterparts.

Other things I would do: A new head gasket, depending on what your power goals are I would either do a MHG or composite, ARP head studs torqued to spec per sheet that comes with them, inspect bottom end for proper tolerances (this includes everything, not just the bearings), and a mild port and polish, basically free, only cost is your time and effort, plus the tools to do it.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
ok well your right sorry i forgot to put that one in. it is the exhaust manifold. and yes it is a t4 turbo.
i also just got done repairing a BHG. about 5k ago. i used oem head gasket and ARP studs at 85 fpt. im going balls out and setting my turbo at 20 psi. i just need it for a daily driver. i dont boost all that much anyway.

BTW...i have just about every tool i need to work on a car.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
You will have to have a custom Down pipe made for a T4 turbo, a BIC DP or anyother on here will not work unless it is specifically made for a T4 turbo. I think 935motorsport may sell one like that, but I'm not sure, take a look. You will need a tuning device and more fuel to compensate for the extra boost you will probably be running, not to mention an external wastegate. You will more than likely have to mod the T4 manifold you want so the external WG will fit. Lots of these manifolds were made for the supra without that consideration in mind....

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
damn! all i wanted to do was replace my turbo..then i found a good deal on a turbo. its got the split where the exhaust goes in and hes throuwing in an HKS waste gate too. i think its one of the older models. ill get some pics up on there as soon as i get it. ill be picking it up today. now for the list
-turbo manifold
-custom DP
-SAFC
-walbro 255
-AFR adjutable
-turbo timer
-boost controller
what else do i need to add?

Last edited:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Possibly fuel injectors depending on what power you want. Steer away from venoms and ebay injectors being sold under brands that they aren't. If you get injectors, either buy them from the company, or from a member on here (like dbsupra90).

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Thank you Star...very helpfull....now on my way home i was thinking about just going i think its called wideband where the car doesnt rely on a MAF sensor. what do you guys think?

im not planning to make this into a beast just yet. this is my daily driver and i drive about 100 miles a day. i dont want too many problems right now(LOL). here is the brake down.im basically running stock and my turbo is dead. i found a good deall for a t4 turbo and i now have very lil money left. what is the basic things i need to get my new turbo into my car without having to spend 1 grand. just the bare necessities to get my car to run.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
^^^ answer to this would be wait until you have more money to safely run that turbo.

Now in one of your previous post you said you were going balls out like 20 psi. Was there supposed to be a not in there? If your not gonna boost much(say...12 psi or less) then I guess the stock fuel injectors will be ok. Definately want to get a SAFC-II and a fuel pressure regulator. Wideband would be VERY usefull to you so that you know your not running lean which could be an issue with too much boost. Your gonna hit boost cut around 12psi anyway unless you want to get a Lexus AFM. MY list if I were to do it RIGHT and SAFE would be as follows:

-60-1 Turbo
-SSAC Exhaust manifold
-Downpipe
-SAFC II
-RC engineering 550cc injectors
-walbro 255lph fuel pump
-aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
-lexus afm
-MBC or EBC if you want to raise the boost at all
-Innovative Wideband 02

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
super.secret.supra.club said:
Thank you Star...very helpfull....now on my way home i was thinking about just going i think its called wideband where the car doesnt rely on a MAF sensor. what do you guys think?

im not planning to make this into a beast just yet. this is my daily driver and i drive about 100 miles a day. i dont want too many problems right now(LOL). here is the brake down.im basically running stock and my turbo is dead. i found a good deall for a t4 turbo and i now have very lil money left. what is the basic things i need to get my new turbo into my car without having to spend 1 grand. just the bare necessities to get my car to run.

The supra has an AFM not a MAF sesor. A wideband is a lot like an o2 sensor except it will tell you what your Air/Fuel ratios are, some even have datalogging capabilities. The LC-1 and XD-16 are a good combo and work well with the MAFT-Pro, that is what you are probably thinking of where you don't have to rely on the AFM. If you buy the MAFT-Pro with the speed density kit you can take out your AFM and tune with the MAFT-Pro that way. I suggest using a wideband when doing so.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
TurboFreak88 said:
^^^ answer to this would be wait until you have more money to safely run that turbo.

Now in one of your previous post you said you were going balls out like 20 psi. Was there supposed to be a not in there? If your not gonna boost much(say...12 psi or less) then I guess the stock fuel injectors will be ok. Definately want to get a SAFC-II and a fuel pressure regulator. Wideband would be VERY usefull to you so that you know your not running lean which could be an issue with too much boost. Your gonna hit boost cut around 12psi anyway unless you want to get a Lexus AFM. MY list if I were to do it RIGHT and SAFE would be as follows:

-60-1 Turbo
-SSAC Exhaust manifold
-Downpipe
-SAFC II
-walbro 255lph fuel pump
-lexus afm
-Innovative Wideband 02

Haha, so true.

He also said he replaced his HG with an OEM one..

So lets do math

20 Psi + Oem HG = ::bhg::

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
TurboFreak88 said:

MY list if I were to do it RIGHT and SAFE would be as follows:

-60-1 Turbo
-SSAC Exhaust manifold
-Downpipe
-SAFC II
-walbro 255lph fuel pump
-lexus afm
-Innovative Wideband 02

No offense, Super.Secret...but it sounds like you don't have a clue,:icon_conf and are well on your way, to a blown motor, because of budgetary shortcuts!:aigo: The above list, is about $1500.00-$1800.00 worth of stuff. You cannot mod the hell out of these cars, on a "shoe string" budget! It will only lead to more money spent on costly engine repair. And, 20psi, is not a good boost setting for a 'daily driver':nono: ...IMHO. If you are stand alone, with great tuning, maybe.:icon_razz

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
ooo my bad guys. when i sed 20 psi i was talking about another supra im working with. i never metioned that to you guys. but yes i know that the things im going to need are going to be expensive. i was jsut planning on buying things slowly. i just wanted to get some ideas of which way i should go.
BTW...with this car i was planning to run maybe around 12 or 13 psi. nothing to big. i need to save gas. at shell for v power 91 its 3.79 a gallon.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
What exactly is your budget? You mentioned you don't want to spend a $1000 to fit T4 in. Well just to put it in you could just buy:

Manifold compatible with your HKS WG: If that 60-1 has a tangential turbine housing I think you'll have to buy a spacer for clearance issues. Find out which spring you have in that WG. You can find some if you search. Get a 10psi spring if you can. That'll limit your boost to 10psi without buying a boost controller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7MGT...008QQitemZ180114684545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Custom DP, just source some stainless steel flanges: It has been done by some memebers here, and it works. When you come up with more money then you can have a nice pretty shiney pretty one done up for you. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000174760/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000174760

Turbo feed and returns lines can be had cheap on Ebay.

Custom Fab a AFM to turbo Pipe and your T4 is mounted.

Walbro pump & J tube drilled out.

EDIT: Oh, and you'll want to at least get your original 440cc's cleaned and flowed. Keeping it at a low level of boost will keep you out of trouble. Only problem with this set up is that you'll like the improved power at first, but you'll soon get bored and turn up the wick. That's when you'll go boom. You might not do things the right way when you find out you can just Tee into the turbo to WG line with a cheap valve and turn up the psi. Lots of people do it..... I did. :( But if all you want to do it mount it and go then that's the cheapest way I can think of.

Last edited:

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
yes i have already got my injectors cleaned. prolly about 300 miles ago. works perfect. thanks for your guys input. you guys are very helpfull and ill be very sure that i dont go and blow my motor just cuz my buget is a lil tight.
yah,..... we have california piss gas here. it sucks so bad. i have to on the average fill one tank a day. about 45 dollars a day. one big reason im kinda in the hole. the other are speeding tickets. very expensive here.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Yea, sounds rough lol. We're at 3.12 here

Btw, make sure you remember, dont run anything above 14 psi on a stock OEM Hg..