3 Mishi Radiators in a year, all failed the same way; fan blade impact (anyone else?)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Update

Word has it, new models are in.....finally :3d_frown:

Pat is confirming this for me with his team. If so Ill have it shipped to me soon. I also requested a list of changes to the new design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: If you own and use a Mishi rad for your supra please read this http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...Supra-please-read-this.&p=1601213#post1601213

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Mishimoto's rad. Its a much thicker core than stock, allowing about .5-.75" between the fan blade and rad top end tank. The core is thinner than the end tank and this creates a lip. Whats happening is the fan is catching this lip and cutting into the core.

1st - lasted a couple weeks, thought it was a fluke as it was not the 'direct drop' version, slightly trimmed back the tips of the fan to create more clearance for the replacement. Larger leak due to the fan not being trimmed back any.

2nd - This was the direct drop in. Lasted about 1 year, blew a few weeks back. Failed the same way only after driving hard. broke a chunk off the fan blade. Pin hole leak

3rd - lasted maybe two days, not driving hard. Pin hole leak

Something is moving the fan forward enough to cut into these cores. Even if it was bad mounts (which i checked while the engine was out about 2 months ago) I would think the torque would only cause the engine to rotate, not move forward or back enough to catch this lip and create such an issue. Also I'm using a solid torque mount (BIC) to aid the engine mounts.

BTW, i did not pay for 3 of them thanks to their awesome warranty. Not sure how they're gonna feel about giving me a 4th though :3d_frown:

Here is the 2nd rad's damage, all failed in the same place:

p1000303d.jpg

Last edited:

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
This is very weird!!! I too have had the SAME problem, Im currently on my 3rd mishimoto radiator, 2 fans have broke off and went straight through the radiator. I figured I was the only one with this problem and havent been sure what exactly caused this. What have you told Mishimoto?
Im now on electric fans which I hate, there fine but just dont cool when I get into boost.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
IJ.;1600669 said:
Doesn't look like impact damage to me...

What does it appear to be? I have a broken fan blade to suggest otherwise.

kamikazemkiii;1600678 said:
This is very weird!!! I too have had the SAME problem, Im currently on my 3rd mishimoto radiator, 2 fans have broke off and went straight through the radiator. I figured I was the only one with this problem and havent been sure what exactly caused this. What have you told Mishimoto?
Im now on electric fans which I hate, there fine but just dont cool when I get into boost.

I was very careful what to say, suggesting it simply blew out or it detached from the end tank. They have a "no questions asked" warranty i know, but i don't want to push it. I'm very curious if other people are experiencing this now that you've chimed in.

Did you tell them the fan hit it?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Nope, uses all stock mounts so never saw the need. Would a stray current really cause the rads to fail in the same location every time? Impact or not, how is this checked, multimeter between the rad and ground while the car is running?

This may change your mind, maybe not. This is the rad in now, lasted 2 days, failed in same location as the previous two. All pics are 10+MP so they can be enlarged and zoomed significantly, same with the original post pic:

p1000314.jpg

p1000315a.jpg

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^Think the plastic has gotten flimsy over the years? New fan in order or just a used replacement or just go E-fan (yes i know the drawbacks of this, but i can' t keep blowing radiators either) Its just strange I kept one of them for nearly a year and this one lasts only two days after the install.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Could be but I'm sure you know it's completely normal for even new blades (especially the tips) not to remain in the same rotational plane at all times. Ever see what the prop tips on modern aircraft do when power is brought up? On the ground they bend forward about a *foot* and they're high strength heat treated aluminum alloy.

Your rad to blade clearance may be just enough to get by most of the time but throw in some hard acceleration, a sluggish or faulty fan clutch, cold air, a combination of the three, or any of a few other things and bam. Assuming you've already checked everything for secure attachment (including the radiator) and wear get a stroboscope, a great tool I've found useful for all sorts of things. If the blades are moving forward it'll tell you for sure.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I figured they flexed, just not this much. It is quite surprising. I was just hoping no other underlying cause was present. Rad is secure, clutch is tight and mounts were good last I checked. Guess my only realistic solution (if i can confirm the blade is flexing this much) would be to go e-fan or get a different rad, but given I can get a replacement for $10, efan's are definitely my cheaper route and with the added capacity of the rad the ill effects of the efan's should be compensated.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Hmmm. I am replacing a damaged PWR rad with a Mishi. I'm now wondering if a Mishi was a wise choice. The PWR is pretty thick too but I never had a problem with the blades hitting it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Im running a mishimoto and have yet to have this issue. Im going to be checking it tomorrow though.

Were you guys running shrouds when this happened?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
kamikazemkiii;1601020 said:
I wasnt, cannot fit a shroud on mine. Its a 1jz.

Oooohhhhh.

IWANTMKIII: Are you 1JZ? Maybe this is a 1JZ fitment issue?

Im 7M and i run the stock shroud. I have not noticed any issues yet but like i said i am going to inspect everything tomorrow.