1jz won't start, but wire colors at body plugs are different

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
the car is 92 1jz swap 5spd jza70 ecu and harness.

initially the harness on the car was bad and ran rich and idled like crap, if you wiggled the harness the car stumbled and sometimes died. bought another harness that apparently came off a "running" car.

so i've done research and have even down loaded the Swap bible and i'm having issues getting signal to the starter (hear it triggering by the glove box area but nothing at the starter.) put the key in the on position and jumped the starter just to see if a new trigger wire was needed and it cranked but didn't fire up.

we sprayed starting fluid and no spark. this lead me to believe something was not hooked up right or somethings, rechecked all grounds and connectors and still nothing.

I started looking at the Body connectors (harness side) under the dash and notice some connectors though identical looking had different color wire arrangements between the male and female connectors. i even see a plug that is not connected to anything but has no where to go and don't see it listed in the swap bible. I know this thread is NOOB move but i don't care flame if you want just don't no what else to do.

i'm looking to get some insight on these connectors.

p1855292_1.jpg

maybe hard to see but the colors of the wires aren't matching/lining up. and according to the swap bible they should be nearly the same across.

p1855292_2.jpg

on this one the connector on the right has more wires on the male side than the female side. (could be nothing)

p1855292_3.jpg

and here's the mystery plug looks MK4's to me?

p1855292_4.jpg

p1855292_5.jpg

p1855292_6.jpg

any insight would be greatly appreciated. just want to get this guys car running before he ships out.

Last edited:

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
haha yeah Jordan, you're right. sorry i was tired as fuck wen to sleep at 3:30am ish and here i am at work (got here at 6:30am.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Found out what the issue was. The harness is hacked up though the seller told me it was uncut and pulled from a running car. The IH1 was jacked up bad. the hacked wires were hidden behind electrical tape.

here's the pic of the IH1 plug harness side

p1855476_1.jpg

you can is the pic clearly the starter signal wire, FP relay and resister wire, COR wire IGN switch etc are all cut and the wires are completely missing. so it's not an easy fix of connecting the the cut wires... the wires are completely missing. sending the harness back and going to find another one. just sucks this guy wasted my time.

of course the guy isn't replying to texts or calls about the harness being fucked. paypal claim in the near future? we'll see.give the guy till monday to reply.

the hunt for a good running (legitamate this time) harness continues. thanks for the input.